Hugh’s broad beans on toast
Tested on my truly Broad Bean hating husband for lunch, today, who said,” hmmm…really tasty, sweet” then , “Delish !!”
- 750g (in pods) smallish broad beans
- Handful of pancetta or bacon lardons
- small bunch spring onions
- 2 tbls rapeseed oil or similar
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Salt & Pepper
- Really nice bread – sourdough works particularly well
- Pod the beans keeping any large ones separate
- Add large beans to boiling water for 1 minute. Add smaller beans for further 30 secs – 1 minute. Skins should just begin to split when cooked.
- Drain beans and pop any big ones out of their skins.
- Heat oil and add bacon.
- When just crisping add onions. Cook 1 minute
- Add beans – toss to combine well and re heat beans.
- Add lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste and serve on toasted bread. A small drizzle of oil is nice.